The following perks supplement the default perks list from Modos 2. They are sorted by type for ease of reference; the names do not imply special requirements for acquiring the perk (beyond what is given in the perk description). The three types are:
Brutal perks: allow special, and nasty, finishing moves when an opponent has low health.
Weapon perks: these improve the damage caused by a PC based on the weapon used. This is tied to the weapons as categorized by the Brütale Skills List.
Technique perks: use a certain fighting technique to gain combat benefits.
These perks take effect when a PC’s opponent has less than 10 physical health. If a PC attacks and the opponent does not defend, or rolls a defense Con, and the PC rolls the highest result on her damage die, the opponent dies in the manner described (at the player’s discretion). This takes effect regardless of the opponent’s physical protection. To take a brutal perk, a PC must be an expert in her chosen skill (at least 3 skill points), and have the Weapon Expert perk for the weapon in use. If a PC also has the Weapon Master perk for the weapon in use, the brutal perk takes effect when the opponent has less than 14 physical health, and rolling a 1 on physical protection also triggers the effect.
- Cleave: cuts a large portion of the opponent’s body from the rest, or cuts an opponent in two equal pieces. Usable with sword and axe skills.
- Crush: crumbles the bones of a body segment. Usable with hammer, unarmed, and spear (haft) skills.
- Decapitate: removes an opponent’s head. Usable with sword, axe, hammer, and unarmed skills.
- Disembowel: removes an opponent’s guts. Usable with sword, axe, spear, whip, and unarmed skills.
- Impale: punches a weapon through the opponent’s body. Usable with sword, spear, unarmed, and bow.
- Maim: removes an opponent’s limb. Usable with sword, axe, hammer, unarmed, and bow.
These perks improve the damage die type of a physical weapon or category of weapons. Note that improving a die type beyond d12 adds a +1 to the result for each improvement, i.e. a d12 does not become a d14.
- Weapon Training: choose a type of weapon from the Brütale skills list. When you use this weapon type, the weapon’s damage die increases by one die type. Taking this perk again applies to a different weapon type.
- Weapon Expert (type) (size): choose a weapon type for which you have Weapon Training, and choose a size of weapon (tiny, small, standard, or heavy). When you use this weapon, its damage die increases by one die type. You must have at least 3 skill points in the skill that applies to this weapon type to take this perk. Taking this perk again applies to a different size or type of weapon.
- Weapon Master: choose an individual weapon for which you have the Weapon Expert perk, and at least 4 skill points that apply to the weapon. The weapon need not be unique, but must be specific. For example, Weapon Master (bastard sword) or Weapon Master (spiked gauntlet). With this weapon, your damage die type increases by one. Taking this perk again applies to a different specific weapon.
These perks represent fighting styles that include special moves as described by the player. Each has requirements that must be completed each round, and before any fighting style benefits may be used. For example, a Barbarian fighter does not gain an improved damage die or attack bonus unless he wields a two-handed weapon, has an ally in offensive posture, and has already used an action to Persuade in that round of conflict. Benefits persist until the end of the round, as long as all the requirements remain met.
- Barbarian: requires a two-handed (heavy) weapon, an ally in offensive posture, and use of an action to persuade an opponent. Gain +2 to attack contests made with the heavy weapon, and that weapon’s damage die improves by one type.
- Gladiator: requires that the PC use no physical armor (shields are allowed), an enemy must be in offensive posture, and use of an action to move (changing posture optional). Gain +2 to defense contests to avoid enemy weapons, and weapon damage dice increase by one type.
- Knight: requires use of physical armor with a physical penalty of at least 3 points, an ally in defensive posture, and use of an engage action. Gain +2 to all physical attack contests, and physical protection die increases by one die type.
- Ninja: requires use of a tiny or small weapon, poor lighting or visibility (includes Fog), and a sneak or deceive action. Gain +2 to attack contests made with a tiny weapon, light weapon, or unarmed attack, and physical protection die increases by one die type.
- Ranger: requires use of a bow (per the Brütale skill definition), sufficient lighting of opponents (non-dark conditions), and use of a detect action. Gain +2 to physical defense contests, and the bow’s damage die increases by one die type.